Tel: +44 (0)1908 662 655   Email:

American Teachers

Work in the UK

Supply Teaching Ltd offers teaching opportunities in the UK.  We are based just north of London, in Milton Keynes.

International teachers love the UK as it offers an excellent base for travel and the chance to meet new people from many different countries and backgrounds. Many of the teaching skills used in the UK education system are similar around the world, so teaching here can often be quite straightforward.

Download our Staff Handbook

Click on register with us to find out what you need to get teaching in the UK!

Are You Qualified? -United States of America Nationals

American teaching qualifications are accepted in the UK but teachers must apply for the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) before they can be recognised as qualified teachers in the UK.

To submit your application:


  • Send a letter confirming that you’re qualified and eligible to teach permanently in America. Only letters from the recognised authority will be accepted for this purpose.

The DfE will verify that you’re a fully qualified teacher in America and have not been barred from teaching. Subject to satisfactory completion of these checks, you’ll be issued with a letter confirming the award of QTS. Details of fully qualified teachers from America are held on the database of qualified teachers in England.

If DfE are unable to award you QTS, you will need to complete a course of initial teacher training in the UK. Supply Teaching Ltd can also help you, Click here for further information


You must apply for a work visa if you do not have British ancestry. Another option is a Working Holiday Visa but work must be incidental to your visit.  Therefore your primary reason for coming to the UK is to travel. Any Teaching work you do can only be for half of the visas length and for the purpose of funding your travel. Work Permits are also available.

Application for a visa can be made at the British High Commission. If you travel without a visa you will be refused entry.

To check your eligibility and best visa options please look on

Dual Nationality

If your parents were born in the UK, you may be able to apply for a second passport. This gives you automatic entitlement to work in the UK.  You still need to apply for this before you leave. The rules regarding this seem to change on a yearly basis, so please check with the Embassy.

You will need to send your birth certificate, your parents and/or Grandparents birth certificates and marriage certificates to the British Embassy.  If the Embassy issues you an early entry, bring it with you to the UK and, on arrival show it to immigration.
With the regular changes of the rules it is worth checking if you can be granted partial access if you have parents or grandparents born in other parts of the European Union countries.  Check with the British Embassy.

Are you married?

If you are married to a British national you are entitled to work in the UK.  Also if you are accompanying a spouse who has dual nationality you too will be able to work in the UK.


Current vacancies:

See all vacancies